Well Eden is into long division, and seems to be doing sums that are a lot more complicated than I ever remember us doing when we learnt long division. Did we ever have to divide numbers like 863,458 by 232 by long division?? When she first saw it she took a gulp, but upon doing it through the mathusee graduated way she is really learning to master it, and enjoy it too. It really was music to my ears today to hear her say "Maths is soo much fun", and not because that is how I view Maths, but because it is lovely seeing children enjoy learning so much. I normally mark her work soon after she has finished it so we can go over any problems that she has got wrong, and I have to encourage her not to get despondant if she gets any wrong, she gets upset if she gets two wrong on a page(which in school would be a good grade), but thankfully she does bounce back quickly and is enthusiastic again the next day. I have found this site really good for printing off all manner of long division worksheets as additional practice for her:
Maths drills
Jude is definitely mathematically brained. He pages through our Study Bible daily so that he can count the pages into the thousands. He speaks about time and watches the clock throughout the day. He asks me continuous questions about addition and subtraction, and place value and how many days in a year type questions. If the timer is on, he watches it count down so he can understand time better. He loves his Alpha mathusee, and every time we start a new lesson I think perhaps he is not old enough to grasp this, but he grasps it straight away and even has to skip the dumbing down questions as they frustrate him. There is an introduction to basic algebra in this book, and it is so sweet to hear him say, mommy can I do al be gra now?
No comments:
Post a Comment